Perpetual Endowment Fund
This fund was established to provide an ongoing opportunity for unrestricted gifts and bequests to amass on behalf of the Church. Your unrestricted gift to the church will help grow this fund. Funds are disbursed based on the By-laws, which currently state that the annual distribution will be as follows:
- 50% will be designated for support of the operating budget, to be used according to the recommendation of the Finance and Budget Team with the confirmation of the Official Board.
- 30% will be designated for the retirement of outstanding debt on Church properties or for major capital improvements to Church property. If there is no debt, then these funds will be distributed to the Church’s Finance and Budget Team to be used for building and maintenance.
- 20% will be designated for outreach causes to be determined by the Church’s Outreach Mission Support Team. The Outreach Mission Support Team shall report how the funds were disbursed to the Official Board by December 31 of the year the funds were distributed from the Endowment Fund.
This fund was established by a gift from Anne and Ollie Raymond. The terms of their bequest defined how the funds were to be expended. A portion of the monies was utilized for a significant renovation project for the activities building in 1998. A portion of the remaining balance is to be disbursed to the Church annually, to be used for the following purposes:
- 25% will be allocated to support or supplement any ministerial program to enhance Church growth, to be determined by the Senior Minister with the assistance of the Church staff.
- 25% will be allocated for special projects relative to new or existing programs within the Church, at the discretion of the approval by the Offical Board of the Church.
- 25% will be allocated to help those in need in the Church to provide assistance to members on an interim basis. The Senior Minister will be responsible for making these grants.
- 25% will be allocated to scholarships for worthy students through the VanNostrand Scholarship or the Beargrass Scholars at the Lexington Theological Seminary.
The funds are disbursed at the direction of the Finance Committee and the Treasurer of the Church.
Mission Projects Beyond The Walls
This fund was established by a gift from an anonymous donor for the following purposes:
- Financially encourage and support participation in both youth and adult mission trips through scholarships granted to Church members. The purpose is not to reduce the overall cost of the trip to the whole group, but to defray or eliminate the cost to individuals who otherwise would not be able to participate.
- Financially support or provide seed money for establishing NEW “Beyond the Walls” mission projects, with emphasis on the local community. The funds are not intended to maintain project operations into subsequent years. Examples of how the funds could be used include:
- creating a community garden in the food desert
- building affordable housing in low-income areas
- purchasing children’s books for a summer reading program
- opening a used clothing store
- other diverse ministries designed to benefit underprivileged individuals or areas in the local community
In January 2022, the Beargrass Finance Team voted to move the balance of the Elsie Calvert Outreach Seed Fund to the Mission Projects Beyond the Walls Fund for two key reasons: 1) the intent of the Calvert Fund matched well with the purpose of the Beyond the Walls Fund and 2) this serves as a lasting way to honor a long-time member of Beargrass and her generous bequest.
Lawrenson Library Fund
This fund provides ongoing operating support of the Walter E. Lawrenson Memorial Library of the Church. Funds are disbursed at the direction of the Library Team.
The fund is named for Walter E. Lawrenson, who served as Senior Minister from 1931 through 1964, and continued as Minister of Evangelism until 1969. He was instrumental in expanding the Sunday School program, initiating the Boy Scout program and establishing the music ministry. However, his greatest gift to the church was his never-ceasing evangelism.
King Music Ministry Fund
This fund was established to support the overall music ministry of Beargrass, which is an integral part of weekly worship services and special worship services. In terms of this fund, the music ministry includes vocal choirs at each of the services, the handbell choir, and the musical instruments that support the choirs and the services in both the Sanctuary and the Chapel. Funds are disbursed at the direction of the Worship Ministry Center. Bolstered by a planned gift from June King in 2021, this fund was named in her honor. While June chose law as her profession, she had a lifelong engagement with music – the piano in particular – and later at Beargrass as a member of the Handbell Choir.
RWVN Scholarship Fund
These funds are contributed by members in memory of Rev. Dr. Will Van Nostrand. From these contributions, amounts are available for scholarships granted to young people who are actively involved at Beargrass and exemplify Christian values. The scholarships are awarded at the direction of the Mission Support Team. Rev. Dr. Will Van Nostrand, Jr. served Beargrass for 40 years, beginning his career as an associate minister and director of youth in 1953, and later serving as the Senior Minister from 1964 until his retirement in 1993. He was one of the founders of the St. Matthews Area Ministries, a trustee for Lexington Theological Seminary and active in the Boy Scouts of America for 55 years.
Crawford Memorial Fund
This fund was established to provide for the continuing education of the ministers of the Church. Funds are disbursed at the direction of the Senior Minister. Rev. Dr. Norman Crawford was the Minister of Evangelism at Beargrass from 1970 until his death in 1982. This fund was established to recognize his service to the Church.
Bentley Children’s Ministry Fund
This fund is intended to provide annual support for Beargrass’ burgeoning Children’s Ministry. Funds are disbursed at the direction of the Children’s Ministry Team.
This fund was established by the Gift Commission in 2021 from Memorial Gifts honoring Malcolm and Joanne Bentley, who were long-time members of Beargrass. Malcolm was fondly referred to as Mr. Beargrass, who greeted everyone entering the church. He was a long-time Sunday School teacher of the fifth-grade class.
Youth Ministry Fund
This fund is intended to provide annual funding for Beargrass’ Youth Ministry. Funds are disbursed at the direction of the Youth Ministry Team.
This fund was established by the Gift Commission in 2021 from Memorial Gifts honoring Jean Crosier and her son, Carl Crosier. The Crosier family were long-time members of Beargrass.
Knopf Scholarship Fund
This fund was established to provide college scholarships for young people active in the music programs of the Church, in memory of Keith Knopf. The scholarships are awarded at the direction of the Mission Support Team, with input from the Music Department.
John Keith Knopf, the son of Dan and Eljean Knopf, was very musically talented and active in the Music Department at Beargrass, where he sang in the choirs. The scholarship was established in Keith’s name when he died in 1977 at the age of 16.
Boy Scout Fund
These funds are not owned by the Church. They are deposited with the Church to maximize investment earnings and are spent by the Boy Scouts at the discretion of the Scoutmaster or Treasurer of the troop. That said, the scout program is an important extension of the Beargrass Children & Families and Youth ministries into the local community.