The Walter E. Lawrenson Memorial Library provides an extensive variety of resources that foster the Disciples’ tradition of personal scholarship, religious study and spiritual growth. The library provides resources for worship, education and personal growth. Finally the library enables personal enrichment and enjoyment through popular fiction, history and children’s books.
Hours of Operation
- Sunday 9:00 am – 12:30 pm
The library is staffed by volunteers during the listed hours. You may also access the library during the week. Ask in the church office if the library is locked. The Book Drop is located in the Ark wing. The standard period for checking out a book is one month.
The books are arranged according to Dewey Decimal System. The library collection is composed of close to 6000 volumes for all ages and topical classifications.
The largest number of books are in the areas of fiction, children – easy, and religion. Biographies, junior fiction and non-fiction, gardening, how-to books, history and holiday books round out the collection. The collection is updated regularly with new best sellers and books of interest to the Beargrass Christian Church congregation.
The Media Center always needs willing, enthusiastic, and dedicated volunteers. Duties of volunteers include availability to provide assistance for two hours once a month with the circulation desk, shelving, processing of books, and promotion. To sign up to be a volunteer, contact Laurie Callander.
History of the Library
In 1953 the Christian Women’s Fellowship (CWF) created a small library. The women developed the library by donating books and small amounts of money. The housed the library in the kitchen.
By 1965, the library had cataloged approximately 750 volumes and had moved to the church basement.
In 1978, the CWF renamed the library “The Walter E. Lawrenson Memorial Library.” Dr. Lawrenson served Beargrass for 38 years as minister and minister of evangelism (1931-1969) and the congregation dedicated an enlarged and redecorated library to his memory. At that point the library collection had grown to more than 2000 books as well as art, audio and video tapes.
In 1986, friends of the library secured its financial future in perpetuity by creating a dedicated fund within the newly established Beargrass Endowment Fund.
In 1990 the new Education Building opened at Beargrass and the library gained a prominent place just inside the Browns Lane entrance. It is near the ARK (young children’s wing), the office and the chapel.
Today, the library continues to thrive and grow from donations, the endowment fund, memorials, the library team, the oversight of Dr. John Hull, and very importantly – the volunteers.