Reliable transportation brings independence and stability to those who seek a better life. Whether it is an immigrant who needs transportation to the store for food, a refugee that needs a way to work, or an impoverished child that wants to feel the freedom of riding a bike, Pedal Power aims to help.
Pedal Power is a ministry of Beargrass Christian Church that empowers folks in Louisville by providing refurbished/rebuilt bikes. Our volunteer team of 20 people delivers on average 600 bikes a year to those in need in our community. Since its beginning in 2013, Pedal Power has delivered close to 5,000 bikes to individuals in need of reliable transportation.
We have several strong partnerships with non-profits and for-profit companies in Louisville such as:
- Kentucky Refugee Ministries
- Greater Louisville YMCA
- Backside Learning Center
- Highland Community Ministries
- United Crescent Hill Ministries
- Prodigal Ministries
- Smoketown Wellness Center
As we look toward spring, Pedal Power needs old bikes. No tires? No problem. We take bikes regardless of age or condition.
Ways to get involved
- Serve on the repair team. This requires a limited understanding of bicycle components along with minimal repair skills and an interest to learn more about bicycle maintenance and a willingness to serve.
- Serve on the social media team. To spread the Pedal Power message in our community we need volunteers with an understanding of social media sources and the ability to communicate and navigate within and through these sources.
Pedal Power Repair Headquarters Beargrass Garage is located on the southeast corner of Beargrass Church property. Look for the banner…”Bicycles for Refugees, Donate Here.”